You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of thektog.org    
KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > P-3AT >

Weak hand practice question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
gordon11
Grand Poobah

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Default Weak hand practice question

My strong hand and strong eye are on the same side (right). I do all of my P3AT shooting off-hand. When practicing with my weak (left) hand, do I use my weak eye also or should I stay with the good eye?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
Rubb
Grand Poobah

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Good eye…and try tilting the gun 90 degrees to the right gangster style.
It’s less awkward …….really.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
Toney_D
Grand Poobah

Liked 80 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Might be handy to be able to shoot with both eyes.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
rdemilt

Not to steal this thread but what is considered normal ? I am a Lefty, I shoot right handed but I sight with my left eye. Im just more comfortable and have seem to have better control. pretty goofy I guess

Old 08-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
JAB
Grand Poobah

Liked 371 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 80

When folks shoot with one hand but the opposite eye is dominant, that is usually called 'cross dominant.' My understanding, though, is that 'normally' this is when a lefty has a dominant right eye or a right-hander has a dominant left eye. Not sure what you would call it when someone shoots using their dominant eye with their non-dominant hand but I guess it would be the same.

I've heard lots of folks talk about shooting with both eyes open. I don't. I've tried and, for me, it doesn't work if I am trying to use the sights. Now, point shooting at close range and not really focusing on the front sight I can do it but if I use the sights (or a scope or whatever) I have to close my left eye (I am right-handed and right-eye dominant.) That is the way I learned and that it the way I have been shooting for more than thirty years. At 40, I figure I am better off practicing to be the best shot I can be with the style I know and that is ingrained in me rather than trying to start all over again, from scratch.

And to the OP, your natural inclination will probably be to close the eye you always close regardless of which hand you are shooting with. If not, maybe you should just try both ways and see which allows you to get the best hits. Honestly, though, if for some reason your strong hand is out of commission or the threat is close enough that you can't use your strong hand then the distance you are shooting might better suit point shooting or front sight shooting, anyway. I am far from an expert so that is just my personal opinion.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
litenlarry
Grand Poobah

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

With the P3AT being a "up close and personal" pistol, if I were you, would be more concerned, about ..Point and shoot drills...
In that case the sight's are non factor...
The both eye's open drill, is so that you can see more side to side vision...

Old 08-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
fredr1942

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by litenlarry View Post
With the P3AT being a "up close and personal" pistol, if I were you, would be more concerned, about ..Point and shoot drills...
+1 On keeping both eyes open. Just tilt the gun about 20 degrees and place your strong hand under the weak hand arm pit and pull. this will steady your weak side a bit.

This method worked well when I was shooting IPSC.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
BillK
Grand Poobah

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by litenlarry View Post
+1

IMHO, with the P3AT and other similar "pocket" pistols you want to practice a whole lot more point shooting than sighted shooting. Great to read you practice with one hand and weak hand at that. Again just my opinion but I'd practice with the P3AT one hand hold a lot more than I would practice two hand hold. I would practice garment clearing and drawing as much as shooting. All this is not to say that you'd never use your P3AT to stand and deliver so I would spend some practice on those skill sets - at some ranges that's perhaps all you'll be able to practice.

In the SD situation that I had to use my P3AT I didn't even have the gun in my vision much less the sights. I shot one hand hold. I believe that taking anymore time to shoot than I did would have cost me dearly.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
Ka6otm

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If it were me, I'd learn to shoot with both eyes open. You really want to be able to see everything you can if things go south on you.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
JB-Norcal
Grand Poobah

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Is the OP's intent of left hand shooting of the 3AT a BUG role?
As a right handed shooter, I've often thought of dedicating my 3AT to be a left handed backup. It's not something I keep on my hip for quick presentation, usually a little deeper pocket carry etc. I don't have the need (thankfully) to be a "2 pistolPacker" as I'm not in the fast lane anymore. But having some tool of deadly force is always a good idea, and I don't want to play knife fight unless I have to.
Shooting left handed I would give my P a tilt and hold tight to my torso for security and as I have a CT on her close is good enough.

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > P-3AT