where can i get a lil stronger one?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
jocko

Default Re: recoil spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsol
where can i get a lil stronger one?

wolffs. sell um, have to order it in the p32 listing though. Order the 13# recoil springs for the 32, they will fit right in with the 380 and I love them and 98% who have tired them like um. far less recoil IMO.

gunsprings.com

Old 11-11-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
TxCajun
Administrator
KOG_ADMIN.png

Liked 240 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Hmmm.. I don't know about 98%. I know several people who tried the Wolf P32 13 lb springs and went back to stock springs.

Remember the side by side comparison test that Wilson did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson
Wolff 13lb P-32 springs vs Kel-Tec 12-12.5lb P-3AT springs, in a P-3AT

Equipment;
FG P-3AT New Kel-Tec recoil springs
FG P-3AT New Wolff 13lb. recoil springs
SG P-3AT New Kel-Tec recoil springs
SG P-3AT New Wolff 13lb. recoil springs
Four magazines with Bersa extensions filled with Sellier & Bellot
Four magazines with Bersa extensions filled with Santa Barbara

Rotating in the order listed above one round was fired from each P-3AT, first with Sellier & Bellot, then with Santa Barbara until all was ammo expended (no jams, no hiccups, nice guns).

With the first round of S&B fired, I noted that the Wolff springs in the FG P-3AT might have slightly less recoil than the FG with factory springs but just the opposite with the SG P-3ATs. With the second round of Sellier & Bellot, I had to admit that I couldn’t tell any difference between Wolff 13lb. and the factory P-3AT springs.

Continuing to fire the remainder of the S&B, then all the Santa Barbara, I did notice that SG P-3ATs, have slightly less recoil that the lighter FG P-3ATs. I would guess this is due to the additional ounce of weight in the SG slide.

I had purchased three Wolff 13 lb. springs, so I installed the remaining one in a P-32 to compare it to a factory fresh P-32 spring in another P-32. A total of 28 rounds of Sellier & Bellot ammo were expended from four magazines with NAA extensions. The 13 lb. springs did reduce the P-32 recoil, possibly as much as 10%.

In conclusion, the $30.92 I spent on three P-32 springs can only be justified if I move them all into P-32s. “Factory Fresh P-3AT springs” work as well for me as the P-32 13 lb. springs in a P-3AT. YMMV

Wilson – who’s always will to take on the tough jobs, like going to the range ;D

PS all rounds fired with right hand, if that matters
If you can't trst Wilson, who can you trust? :-/

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=104;action=display;num=1149559162;s tart=15

P32, P32NAA, P3AT, PF9, P11/40/357Sig, Sub2K9, Sub9, SU16C + More to come.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:54 PM   #4
jocko

how about maybe 97% ??? my comparison have always been where the brass ends up, never in percentages of recoil reduction, as all of my kt mini's are ported. My brass with factory springs was further away from me than the wolffs springs were.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
TxCajun
Administrator
KOG_ADMIN.png

IIRC, your P3AT is ported. I would not expect it to behave (recoil, throw brass, etc) the same as a stock gun, would you? Wilson tested with stock pistols. Several others have tried the P32 springs and switched back to free, stock springs as well. Obviously, your mileage varies. I bet the porting has something to do with that. :-/

Old 11-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #6
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCajun
IIRC, your P3AT is ported. *I would not expect it to behave (recoil, throw brass, etc) the same as a stock gun, would you? *Wilson tested with stock pistols. *Several others have tried the P32 springs and switched back to free, stock springs as well. *Obviously, your mileage varies. *I bet the porting has something to do with that. * :-/
won't disagree with that at all, but with ported weapon and both type of recoil springs there was a big difference, I do have a 380 non ported now and I will also do some more shooting using both springs for comparison sakes...

Old 11-11-2006, 09:27 PM   #7
riverkeeper

I got the impression from the Wilson-referenced thread that the Wolfe 13 pound spring is reliable, will reduce slide stop damage with hot ammo though slightly more difficult to rack.

Are these assumptions correct?
What is the pound rating of the standard spring?
My P3 is 2nd Gen and I like to use relatively hot ammo.
Recoil is not an issue.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:32 PM   #8
TxCajun
Administrator
KOG_ADMIN.png

It makes no sense that they still even make extra strength springs for the P32. It really doesn't need them. I'd peg it's recoil at about 80% of the P3AT. On the other hand, the P3AT has very snappy, nearing unpleasent recoil. I'm with WIlson in that I'd like to see Wolf make some 13, 14, 15 & 16 pound springs for the P3AT. Perhaps we should start bombimg them with emails. ;D

Old 11-11-2006, 09:40 PM   #9
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCajun
It makes no sense that they still even make extra strength springs for the P32. *It really doesn't need them. *I'd peg it's recoil at about 80% of the P3AT. *On the other hand, the P3AT has very snappy, nearing unpleasent recoil. *I'm with WIlson in that I'd like to see Wolf make some 13, 14, 15 & 16 pound springs for the P3AT. Perhaps we should start bombimg them with emails. * ;D
hell tx, every time I call wolffs I bomb them with why no 380 springs. their reply--we are working on it, that started over a year ago, just not sure they have any intention of doing it, why they did it on the 32 is a good question when indeed the 380 needed it the most....

Old 11-11-2006, 09:41 PM   #10
jocko

would love to see a 16# spring for the 380, one could probably put a cup besides the weapon and catch all the brass ;D

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > P-3AT