You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of thektog.org    
KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > P-3AT > no dry firing of the P3at?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Grey_Mana

Default no dry firing of the P3at?

I just brought home my P-3AT today.
I noticed the manual says to not dry-fire it.

Is that a real concern, or just boiler-plate language?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
rcmodel
Grand Poobah

Liked 88 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Re: no dry firing of the P3at?

No, it's a real concern.

K-T uses a very small, high-speed firing pin.

Dry firing may damage it, or the screw that holds in in place.

If you want to dry-fire a lot, get some A-Zoom snap-caps.

rc

Choot'em Lizabet! Choot'em!!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
BillK
Grand Poobah

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Definately use snap-caps for/when dry firing. It can be a problem when you're live firing because there is no slide catch and if you've not counted your rounds you can easily dry fire. I'll fire my seven carry rounds then load six practice rounds and do patterns like 3 double taps or two tripple taps, etc., which helps me to know when I've fired the last round. Haven't done it but suppose you could first load a snap-cap in the mag. and then you'd risk no damage.

Oh, best of luck with your new P3AT.

Take care...

Old 05-30-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
Grey_Mana

Thanks for the info.
And as a follow-up - I myself dry fired it (while comparing it to the LCP), not knowing any better. Moreover, it was the display case model, so presumably other people dry fired it too (although probably not many - it's not as if they can keep them in stock around here). So, should I worry about replacing the pin, or can I file this under 'don't do that anymore'?

Old 05-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
PF9Newbie
Grand Poobah
KOG_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 302 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Mana
Thanks for the info.
And as a follow-up *- I myself dry fired it (while comparing it to the LCP), not knowing any better. *Moreover, it was the display case model, so presumably other people dry fired it too (although probably not many - it's not as if they can keep them in stock around here). *So, should I worry about replacing the pin, or can I file this under 'don't do that anymore'?

If you have dry fired the gun much at all, it is probably a good idea to remove the firing pin and inspect it closely to see if any damage has occured. *Also inspect the tip of the retention screw for burrs or other damage. *If either part shows damage or beyond normal wear, it might be a good idea to replace them. *They are inexpensive from Kel Tec, and with a defensive weapon, you don't want to take any unnecessary chances of malfunction or problems.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
tweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PgunneR
*They are inexpensive from Kel Tec.
probably free from keltec they are good about that stuff....

personally i wouldnt worry that much about it...but i would use snap caps hence forth...

my understanding is the damage is more to the screw then the firing pin ...
and that damage just makes it hard to get out.

but anything is possible...

Old 05-31-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
jcp

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm really bad about not counting my rounds and dry fired my 3AT what I considered to be a lot. I decided I needed to take mine apart and see the extent of the damage I could be causing. I went ahead and ordered some spare/replacement parts before taking it apart. Once the parts arrived I went ahead and took it apart. I found that the end of the screw was obviously dinged up, but was not a problem to remove. The firing pin had no visible damage, it looked as good as new. I went ahead and replaced the screw, and put the same firing pin back in. After seeing the parts I'm not really worried about the firing pin being damaged by dry firing (short of some kind of torture test), and the screw would of had to been a lot worse to cause removal problems.

That being said I'm trying to count my rounds to prevent dry firing, but I won't lose any sleep if it happens occasionally. JMHO.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:41 AM   #8
kt4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK
Definately use snap-caps for/when dry firing. It can be a problem when you're live firing because there is no slide catch and if you've not counted your rounds you can easily dry fire.

Take care...
I had my version 1 P-3AT for five years (before the assembly pin holder area deformed and Kel-Tec replaced the gun) and during that time I did not dry fire routinely, however, I always shot until I go an empty click at the firing line, so I guess I actually dry fired quite a lot. *That was never the cause of any problem with the gun, so from my point of view, I am not going to worry about it.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
BillK
Grand Poobah

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt4me
[quote author=BillK link=1243630725/0#2 date=1243634426]Definately use snap-caps for/when dry firing. It can be a problem when you're live firing because there is no slide catch and if you've not counted your rounds you can easily dry fire.

Take care...
I had my version 1 P-3AT for five years (before the assembly pin holder area deformed and Kel-Tec replaced the gun) and during that time I did not dry fire routinely, however, I always shot until I go an empty click at the firing line, so I guess I actually dry fired quite a lot. *That was never the cause of any problem with the gun, so from my point of view, I am not going to worry about it.[/quote]

Kt4me,

* I hear you. I hope my post didn't read like I'm an alarmist. *I'm not paranoid about dry firing the P3AT just trying to error on the side of caution. In the P-3AT Manual it clearly states not to dry fire the gun. The manual also says something about this being true for all guns - that I believe is actually a false assertion. *I dry fire my Ruger revolvers and my Glock 26 without using snap caps. Ruger actually encourages dry fire in the manual I have for the Single Six and Glock requires a dry fire for field stripping and makes no mention of any cause for concern with respect to dry firing.

Take care...

Old 05-31-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
garyg

This may be a silly question, but what is the difference between an empty shell casing and a snap cap?

Having An Identity Crisis

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > P-3AT