Come help us Launch CZTalk.com - Free Decals!
KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles > Sub 2000 problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 02:32 AM   #1
karkeij

Default Sub 2000 problems

I picked up my sub 2000 from layaway today. *Brought her home and field stripped, cleaned and lubricated her. *This is a used gun so I looked her over very well to make sure everything appeared in good condition. *As I suspected this gun has been shot but not abused.

My trip to the range this afternoon was extremely disappointing. *My first issue was multiple failures to eject properly. *Mainly stove pipes. *All rounds fired through factory Glock 10 round magazine. *I was unable to make it through a full magazine. *

I also experienced multiple light strikes. *This occured on 2 out of the 3 ammo brands I tested. *Noticed firing pin indent was off center. *Never noticed this with any of my other firearms.

After returning home from the range I spent some extra time cleaning and let the bolt soak heavily drenched in CLP. *I'm hoping the light strike issue is just maybe from gunk build up. *I also went over the entire bolt with steel wool to try and smooth out any rough surfaces. *Any thing I am missing? I really don't want to have to send this firearm into Kel Tec as it is used.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Keith

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 03:35 AM   #2
3wbdriver
Grand Poobah
KOG_MODERATOR.png

Liked 332 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Default Re: Sub 2000 problems

Offset primer strikes are not unusual in the Sub. *Maybe it's the pictures but those *look like pretty solid strikes that I can see. *The 3 ammos you show should all work. *The 10 round Glock magazine has been known to have a last round FTE problem. *This can be fixed by usiing a Gen 3 Glock follower IIRC.

A year and a half or so ago Kel-tec received a batch of short firing pins from a supplier. *The difference was so minimal they weren't caught during assembly, and they were found when new buyers began getting light strikes. *Could be the previous owner had the light strikes and returned it to the store for an exchange. *You might call Kel-tec after the 3rd and see when yours was made. *They can tell you by your serial number.

Stovepiping can also be caused by a form of limpwristing from not shouldering it very well. *The blow back action needs a good base to cycle against. *

Just some things to look into since you've got another 10 days or so before you can send it in anyway.

911. Government sponsored dial-a-prayer.
If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:08 AM   #3
karkeij

I thought they looked pretty well struck myself. I'll give them a call after the new year to check on the manufacture date. Thanks for the heads up on the firing pin issue.

I'm positive the failures to eject were not a result of the shouldering issue. I wish it was that simple. I'm going to try another magazine next trip to the range to rule that out.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
ftldrben
Grand Poobah

My Sub2K's chamber and looks a lot 'nicer' and I've got 1000+ rounds through her.
I think you have a burr on the edge of your chamber. Or is that just an imaging problem?

Also, I don't have that little feed ramp thingy...What is that?

Old 12-24-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
3wbdriver
Grand Poobah
KOG_MODERATOR.png

Liked 332 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftldrben
Also, I don't have that little feed ramp thingy...What is that?
If you are referencing the protrusion on the bottom of the picture that's actually a hood over the top of the chamber (the barrel is folded so bottom is top). The barrels had that feature from sometime in 2005 until early last year. Then Kel-tec went back to the flush cut, chamfered all around barrel like you probably have.

911. Government sponsored dial-a-prayer.
If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
RAT76
Grand Poobah

Liked 58 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Side edges of that chamber look pretty sharp. *My first SUB9 had feeding problems like this. *It's chamber had a sharp edge all the way around. * Felt tip in a Dremel with compound & I put a slight radius on the edge. *Solved the feed issues.

The first pic is the sharp edge before polishing. On the left is an S2K. Notice the slight chamfer on the sides of the chamber. Your's should look like that.

S9 after polishing slight radius;

That was a early production gun. Later production had an actual chamfer. This is an S9 from about a year or so into production. Note the slight chamfer. I've see much larger chamfers on Subbies that had been in for rework.

Do a little polishing over the Holidays. Have fun & Merry Christmas.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
ftldrben
Grand Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wbdriver
[quote author=ftldrben link=1293161570/0#3 date=1293174422]Also, I don't have that little feed ramp thingy...What is that?
If you are referencing the protrusion on the bottom of the picture that's actually a hood over the top of the chamber (the barrel is folded so bottom is top). *The barrels had that feature from sometime in 2005 until early last year. *Then Kel-tec went back to the flush cut, chamfered all around barrel like you probably have.[/quote]

I later realized that was the top of the barrel...thanks.

I like the newer set-up. It seems a lot cleaner. I thought that perhaps the OP's 'ring' had come off or something. Can they retro an older style?

And now I know to look when I buy more Sub2K's (need another 9mm and want to add a .40)

Old 12-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
karkeij

You guys are right. The chamber is very rough. I just spent the past hour or so with steel wool smoothing it up. I'll have to borrow a dremel and give it a fine polishing. I'll report back after I get her cleaned up and get to the range. Thank you for all the help.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
karkeij

While I'm at it is there any way to examine/clean the firing pin? How difficult is in to remove?

Old 12-24-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
virtual-rj
Grand Poobah

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

not a firing pin issue at all. pull the bolt, soak it in kerosene. that will solve any buildup issues there

the chamber, well, if it does that, I think a dremel with a buffing bit and some jewelers rouge will fix it......just make it as smooth as a babys bottom and all is good.....and maybe some 1600 grit sandpaper LIGHTLY wrapped around a pencil....

Dear Karma,

I have a list of some people you have apparently missed.

Love, Me.

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles