KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles > sub 2000 durability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
thumbs1

Default sub 2000 durability

How many rounds have you guys fired through these things? Are they something you take out and shoot once in a while or can you run thousands and thousands of rounds through them?

Also those of you that have put quite a few rounds through them do they show much in the way or wear? I guess I am asking what is the round life of these carbines?

Generally do they seem to be pretty reliable? Do they run dependably? Any issues with the folding and locking up properly over the long haul?

The reason I as is a buddy has another 9mm carbine and has had it rebuilt a time or two. He shoots it quite a bit but his does wear. I am looking for something I can shoot the devil out of with no problems.

thanks for your help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
Wyldman

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 47

IMO it's not much of a test, so far, but my .40 has over 5K through it and is going strong.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:13 AM   #3
thumbs1

Well his was rebuilt around 4k rounds. Does yours show much wear at this point?

thanks

Old 10-03-2011, 01:45 AM   #4
Bayourunner

I would also like to know the round life of these subs. I only have around 800 rounds through my subby 9mm. I just it wouldnt hurt to get spare recoil spring and firing pin to have on hand just incase...

Old 10-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #5
thumbs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldman View Post
IMO it's not much of a test, so far, but my .40 has over 5K through it and is going strong.
I started another thread but since you have one......... What made you decide on the 40 over the 9mm? Just wondering? I am getting ready to get the sub200 and can choose between the 9 or the 40. The 40 is a little cheaper but not by much. What were your reasons?

thanks again

Old 10-03-2011, 02:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbs1 View Post
I started another thread but since you have one......... What made you decide on the 40 over the 9mm? Just wondering? I am getting ready to get the sub200 and can choose between the 9 or the 40. The 40 is a little cheaper but not by much. What were your reasons?

thanks again
I got the 9mm all my Glocks are 9mm so mags and ammo are the same. Also 9mm will cost $4 to $5 a box less. Glock mags for 9mm come in 33 rounders .40 Glock mags come in 22 rounders.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
Wyldman

I got the .40 to go with my G22, 23, & 27 for cartridge commonality. I could just as easily gotten the 9mm version, as I also have 9mm Glocks, but the .40 came up first and that's the one I got.

The only real wear mine is showing is on some of the plastic parts like the barrel latch.

When I first got the weapon, I did a complete F&B job on it, including polishing the bolt to minimize wear on the moving internals. It seems to have paid off as I haven't seen any significant wear on these parts, as yet. I have given some thought to nickle plating some of those parts, again for durability, but the polishing seems to have been enough.

It's not a combat rifle, but it seems to be holding up far better than I would have guessed when I first got it.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
thumbs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldman View Post
I got the .40 to go with my G22, 23, & 27 for cartridge commonality. I could just as easily gotten the 9mm version, as I also have 9mm Glocks, but the .40 came up first and that's the one I got.

The only real wear mine is showing is on some of the plastic parts like the barrel latch.

When I first got the weapon, I did a complete F&B job on it, including polishing the bolt to minimize wear on the moving internals. It seems to have paid off as I haven't seen any significant wear on these parts, as yet. I have given some thought to nickle plating some of those parts, again for durability, but the polishing seems to have been enough.

It's not a combat rifle, but it seems to be holding up far better than I would have guessed when I first got it.

Is there info on the fluff and buff somewhere. I would probably go the same way.

thumbs1
Souderton, Pa.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #9
3wbdriver
Grand Poobah
KOG_MODERATOR.png

Liked 443 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 494

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbs1 View Post
I am looking for something I can shoot the devil out of with no problems.

thanks for your help
Mine had in excess of 4k rounds through it when the pivot block split. I probably put another 200 through it before I realized the block was damaged. They are quite durable to a degree, but I don't believe anything Kel-tec makes is intended to be run like a battle rifle. And I include the RFB in this personal assessment. If you want to "shoot the devil out of it" I would recommend you get something heavier and and proven. Like a pistol caliber AR or perhaps the Beretta Cx carbine. Don't misunderstand me. Even after the break I still love every Kel-tec I own. But you can look at one and see it is NOT intended for heavy field abuse or just blasting rounds down range with great abandon. Some get away with it, most don't. Experiences vary.

As for your last question, I reinforce the FAQ is your friend.

911. Government sponsored dial-a-prayer.
If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
Wyldman

I will add this caveat to my earlier statement:
I do not abuse my weapons. On the contrary, I tend to baby them, even my combat weapons (which the subby most definitely is not).

I clean routinely, but carefully. I use proper lubrication materials and techniques.

I do not blast away, just spewing lead downrange. I fire for effect and accuracy.

The Subby is not a machine gun and is not designed for such use. If the zombie apocolypse occurs, I have bigger, one shot-one kill medicine for them.

With proper care and use, I'm certain my subby will last a long time. YMMV.

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles