KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles > Re: Red Lion Sub2K Front Sight & Muzzle Brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Tron1
Grand Poobah

Liked 57 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Re: Red Lion Sub2K Front Sight & Muzzle Brake

[edit]Note: *I split this off from the Red Lion Forend Thread and re-titled it. *- This certainly deserves its own thread. * 8-)

Please do not engage in commerce in this thread. *This is for developmental purposes, questions, answers, etc.

When these are for sale, I assume they will appear in the Trading Post.*

TxCajun[/edit]

Hello, Everyone,

Well, now that the initial furor about the Red Lion forend has diminished, I would wager it is time to spark a little interest in another, related but absent, part: a new front sight.

Yes, you guessed it: the people at Red Lion Precision, LLC, have just informed me that they have one ready for production!

Here is the message Travis sent me:

-----Original Message-----
To: Eric ________ <eric_________@aol.com>
Sent: Fri, May 20, 2011 4:56 pm
Subject: Sub 2000 Front sight Prototype

Hi Eric,

* * I know it seems like forever but the Sub2000 front sight prototype is finally done. *We did some preliminary testing and everything seems to be ready to go into production. I'm attaching some pictures of the prototype so you can look it over and see what you think. *It uses standard AR15 parts except for the body and windage block which are made from 6061 T6 aluminum and will be black anodized. *A standard AR15 front sight tool will adjust the height. *The body has a hole for lockup when the S2K is folded. *I think that this sight addresses almost all of needs and wants for a front sight for the S2K. *It also will have the option for a steel muzzle break included (pictured) or without a muzzle break to go on the barrel where the Kel-Tec steel sight bushing currently is. *The muzzle break will probably get a little fancier more aggressive end on it in production. *It would be much appreciated to hear your feedback or questions.

Have a good weekend,
Travis
Red Lion Precision, LLC

-------

Travis sent me several fine pictures of the sight and muzzle brake, both separate and mounted on a rifle. Once he gives me the "Go Ahead" I will post those pictures here.

Is anyone interested in seeing it? *

Tron1

PS: When I post the pictures, please do not ask about price or cost. This is not the Trading Post.

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions." - Albert Einstein

Last edited by Tron1; 08-14-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Hipshot

Default Re: Red Lion Forend

The Red Lion folks are a great bunch!!!!
He mentioned to me about a month ago that it (front sight) was in the works.
As for wanting to see it?
Is the Pope a...wait I can't say that!
Is a pig's....oops cant say that!
Does a wild bear....
YES! I want to see it! ;D

Old 05-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
jduncan

Pretty pretty PLEASE?

*Drool*

(Any estimates of a price point available?)

Old 05-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
Koolaid37

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Yes please!!! We want to see the sight!

Old 05-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
Tron1
Grand Poobah

Liked 57 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hello, Everyone,

Travis gave me the "Go Ahead" just a few minutes ago to post the pictures of his new front sight. So, here they are, along with the same comments I made to him when he first sent them to me.

(Right side) -- From this angle, the barrel screws look very robust; more than strong enough to hold the sight firmly on the barrel. Knowing the sight has an AR-type windage adjustment knob, I would have thought it would be on this side, instead of on the left, but it makes sense since the front sight would adjust in the opposite direction as compared to the rear. No big deal. The addition of a small picatinny rail at the bottom is a nice touch. The lion image etched into the side is very cool.

(Left side) -- From this side, finding an AR-type windage knob is like seeing an old friend after a long time apart. Memories and shared experiences return in full color, along with remembering how to adjust it, of course. *

(Rear) -- Very clean. I like the way the top lip of the sight bevels into the post area. The short "ears" look like they provide just enough protection, without being overly obtrusive.

(Front) -- This is a great picture. It clearly illustrates how solid the sight block is. My only concern would be how open this area is. Allowing for the fact that the block moves left and right, I can see where it might accumulate dirt and grime. Nothing a few pipe cleaners could not fix, though.

(Top) -- Once again, "Hello, old friend". Excellent view of the tried and true AR front sight post and detent pin. It shows more than enough room for an adjustment tool.

-- I won't comment too much on the muzzle brakes because he said their design might change a little. But I will say this: giving the buyer the option of using a simple collar or installing a brake is going above and beyond. I am sure the public will appreciate this fact.

-- This is where they will definitely win over a lot of people, what with providing a locking feature for the sight similar to the original.

-- Open and mounted, the new sight with included muzzle brake complements the forend perfectly. My only critique (A petty one, at best) is that its shape is different from that of the forend.

-- I will skip to the full body picture. Seeing how the rifle looks with an accessory attached to the sight draws attention to the picatinny rail. The flashlight used does not appear to hang very low, at least not past the trigger guard.

-- These shots are good. They show the versatility of the sight in allowing the use of different aiming/light sources. I think it is definitely a plus.

Bottom line? I have to congratulate him. It looks very good... and, yes, it probably does address almost all of the needs and wants for a Sub2000 front sight.

Tron1

PS: Please do not ask about price or cost. Remember, this is not the Trading Post.

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions." - Albert Einstein

Last edited by Tron1; 08-14-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
mcnoel85

On those Muzzle Breaks, As Im not familiar with all install techniques, Is that threaded or a pin on style?

Old 05-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
virtual-rj
Grand Poobah

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

travis, that is just awesome.

update: from friends, not me, unfortunately, the subbie w/red lion fore end went through 500 more rounds today.

still holding zero.

Dear Karma,

I have a list of some people you have apparently missed.

Love, Me.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
Hipshot

Well done!
Both to Tron for his comments and to Red Lion for what appears to be yet another outstanding product.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #9
jrayborn

That looks great, very innovative with the windage adjustment. Clever! I like it!

Old 05-22-2011, 12:23 AM   #10
bobkt

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, very innovative design all around and when all the testing is done this solution will be rated as high as their Indexing forend offer.

Based on the pictures shown earlier I beleive we will not be disapointed.

Bobkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrayborn
That looks great, very innovative with the windage adjustment. Clever! *I like it!

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles