You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of thektog.org    
KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles >

Modified Midwest Industries Mount?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2017, 01:31 AM   #21
Webfarmer

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAArmory View Post
I purchased the MidWest Industries mount and Primary Arms optic for my Sub 2000 Gen 2 Glock 17 version.....

The problem is the optic mount would NOT maintain zero. Within 50 shots or less the pivot mount would become loose enough that the red dot would NOT maintain zero. At my last outing I got tired of tightening the mount after each "happy stick" and removed the mount.
This is interesting. I have the same combo and mounted on the left side of the rifle so the brightness adjustment knob would fit properly. I haven't fired the RD set up much - only 50 rounds - but it's sighted in. Now I can verify zero next time. I find the top pivot mount seems to have a little more free play than I would have hoped for. Need more time on it plus shoot some ladder loads. Either my handloads are too hot or the extractor needs work as it digs the side of the rim more than I like.
BigAArmory Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2017, 07:07 AM   #22
wriggly

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAArmory View Post
I purchased the MidWest Industries mount and Primary Arms optic for my Sub 2000 Gen 2 Glock 17 version immediately after seeing the review that the Military Arms YouTube channel did. It was exactly what I was looking for because I basically need to run red dots or scopes on all my guns due to aging eyes and my lack of focus on iron sights. It mounted very easily and the hardware appears solid.

The problem is the optic mount would NOT maintain zero. Within 50 shots or less the pivot mount would become loose enough that the red dot would NOT maintain zero. At my last outing I got tired of tightening the mount after each "happy stick" and removed the mount.

The concept of the mount is good but it did not work for me. I am now trying to figure out how to solve the peaked ^ top rail (you know how the top rail is not completely flat but instead has a slight peak and will NOT allow an optic mount to sit flat) in order securely and repeatedly mount a quick disconnect red dot (Primary Arms 2 MOA) because I would like to keep the complete fold functionality of the carbine.

BTW - I have at least 1,000 rounds through my Sub 2000 Gen 2 and it's an awesome little gun that pairs perfectly with my Glock 17 MOS. Just wish that KelTec had actually manufactured a FLAT top rail on the front forend.
Made the same mistake getting the Midwest Industries setup. Got a Redlion Forend and problems solved.
People Like This 
Old 02-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #23
jthwan22

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have the same problem the mount will shift under recoil rocking back. I just epoxy glue the mount in the m-lock slot and filling the back space with more epoxy. Will try next time going to the range and see if this mod help.

went to range with glue in base. The shot group is huge and inconstant. Trying to zero is a like suggestion for shotgun pattern. Body shot at 50 yards is possible. Head shot sometimes if I get lucky.

Last edited by jthwan22; 02-14-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:30 PM   #24
BigAArmory

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Midwest Industries makes a lot of great products and the idea for the Sub 2000 rotating mount was a good one, but it just would not maintain zero (or close to it) on my Sub 2000 Gen 2. After removal I have gone back to shooting with the sights until I buy a QD mount and flatten the portion of the top pic rail where it will be mounted. The gun itself is still a blast to shoot.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #25
Jinkster

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I'm often times tempted to put dot optics on my S2K and would if it were intended to be a tac/comp game gun but for me?....it's not and is just dandy the way it is with but one upgrade...the brass bolt option.

Though one day I'd like to do the wicked trigger and spring kit upgrade.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #26
jgillooly

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Maybe same MI munt and zeroing issues?

I mounted a Holosun red dot with high rise mount directly to the top rail when I first got this carbine. No issues zeroing or holding zero.

Bought the MI rotating mount after seeing the MI Channel video as it seems like a great solution to the folding issue. Had all sorts of problems zeroing a PA microdot red dot scope on this mount. Then replaced that with the Holosun thinking the PA scope had an issue. Holosun did not hold zero either. Took the gun to a gunsmith who really cranked down on the MI mlok attachment bolts. Need to test that this week with the PA scope remounted.

In the mean time I saw a post suggesting the hand guard may be flexing. Ordered a stabilizer for that that clamps to the barrel.
http://www.performanceservicesmachining.com/kel-tec-sub-2000-products/kel-tec-sub-2000-handguard-stabilizer/

Seriously tired of what should be a simple zeroing operation. Need the MI mount to work. Bought this as a truck and backpacking gun so it has to fold.
BigAArmory Likes This 
Old 02-25-2017, 10:29 PM   #27
jgillooly

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Update

I'm now holding zero better after a few upgrades. Not a scientific test, but added the MCarbo trigger and spring kit, added the hand guard stabilizer bracket, and reattached the MI mount with PA Microdot locked down tight with blue Loctite.

Any fiddling with the windage and elevation turrets giave a more or less nonlinear response but got to a decent zero after about 30 shots. By nonlinear I mean that just touching the red dot moves the output group. That tells me what I though to begin with, that the spring on the MI mount needs to be stronger, or maybe it's just this particular mount?

Primary Arms told me they have had several complaints about this mount, and that MI told them that it was almost always a mounting problem.

Will say that, after taking the hand guard off, there's no doubt the stabilizer brace is needed, and maybe more than one. There are only a couple of the bolt/screws that really hold the hand guard to rotating hinge. That latter is the receiver, regardless of what it looks like. The rest of them are holding the two halves together.

Shooting without a bench at 25 yards I was centered on zero with maybe 3 in groups. Without all the changes I was all over the paper, so at least this is better. Waiting for a new mounts to come in so I can swap and then test this again.
Specter72 Likes This 

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles