KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles > California Legal Sub 2000
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
senorgrand

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default California Legal Sub 2000

I'm moving this post to something more descriptive of the thread in the hopes it helps the next poor sap who wants to import a Sub 2000 into California.

Yes, the Sub 2000 needs two modifications to make it legal. It has to have an over-all length of 30 inches and has to have either a bullet button OR a monsterman grip.

The length thing is pretty easy to accomplish by either installing the stock extension (good luck finding one) or slapping on a recoil pad -- as long as it adds more than 1/2" in length. Apparently the extension doesn't have to be permanently affixed. The bullet button installs in about 5 minutes.

To get the thing to California, you can do one of three things:

1) Have the modifications made out of state and shipped to an FFL in its California-legal configuration.

2) Have the un-modified version shipped to a Class 7 FFL here in California and have them modify the rifle.

3) When I was looking at building an AR-15 instead of the Sub 2000, I didn't run into this problem. A lower receiver can be shipped into California without modification. An upper receiver can be shipped into California without modification. But if you put the two together, that's a big no-no.

It would be possible to ship a disassembled Sub 2000 into California legally. I'm not sure what level of diss-assembly would be required, but taking the rifle apart at the hinge seems the simplest route. The receiver would have to be shipped to an FFL (unmodified), but the barrel assembly should be able to be shipped directly to your home.

Hope this helps any other poor saps who live in California and want a Sub 2000.

Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
senorgrand

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Class 7 FFL!

I found a Class 7 FFL willing to do the transfer for me and make my gun California legal.

He's right down the street from me and isn't asking an arm and a leg in transfer fees.

Rick Fernandez at Precision Tactical in Atascadero is good people and might be able to help other future Sub 2000 owners.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
3wbdriver
Grand Poobah
KOG_MODERATOR.png

Liked 417 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 385

Adding this to the FAQ under the Nanny state links in Accessories.

911. Government sponsored dial-a-prayer.
If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
senorgrand

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Glad to help.

Now that my hands aren't tied, I'm free to shop the whole country for the best price on a Sub 2000!

Old 01-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
grumpyolretiredcop

If I may add something to this for CA residents:

The OP mentions the "Monsterman Grip". That device can't be installed on a Sub 2000. However, in addition to the "bullet button" option, there are Kydex wraps that can be installed around the Sub 2000's pistol grip (combined with the stock extension to meet CA minimum OAL requirements). The wrap removes the "separate pistol grip" prong of the relevant Penal Code sections.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #6
Pharohx

@ senorgrand

Your info says Central California. I am in Modesto, is your guys close to there, could he help me out for a fee also?

Thanks

Old 01-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #7
senorgrand

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Pharohx:

My FFL is in Atascadero, which probably ain't very helpful.

Here are some Class 7 FFLs in your area:

NEWLON PRECISION
2465 COACHMAN RD
MARIPOSA, CA 95338
209 966 8141

G L LORENZO GUNMAKER
5812 MUNCY RD
MODESTO, CA 95358
209 247 7405

PRICE DESIGN & ENGINEERING
659 FAIRFAX DR
OAKDALE, CA 95361
209 847 1000

As far as getting a Sub -- you should just search the major gun broker websites:

Also check:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/

http://www.gunauction.com/

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx

http://www.elitedealseeker.com/index...egory=gunstuff

Be sure to search for Sub 2000 with AND without a space! I found mine by searching for "sub2000" and found one other folks hadn't.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:36 AM   #8
Harper

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is no way to add a monsterman grip to a sub 2000 right?

Old 01-13-2012, 02:20 AM   #9
Pharohx

Thanks alot senorgrand!

I will see if I can get some traction with the info you provided!

Great response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorgrand View Post
I'm moving this post to something more descriptive of the thread in the hopes it helps the next poor sap who wants to import a Sub 2000 into California.

Yes, the Sub 2000 needs two modifications to make it legal. It has to have an over-all length of 30 inches and has to have either a bullet button OR a monsterman grip.

The length thing is pretty easy to accomplish by either installing the stock extension (good luck finding one) or slapping on a recoil pad -- as long as it adds more than 1/2" in length. Apparently the extension doesn't have to be permanently affixed. The bullet button installs in about 5 minutes.

To get the thing to California, you can do one of three things:

1) Have the modifications made out of state and shipped to an FFL in its California-legal configuration.

2) Have the un-modified version shipped to a Class 7 FFL here in California and have them modify the rifle.

3) When I was looking at building an AR-15 instead of the Sub 2000, I didn't run into this problem. A lower receiver can be shipped into California without modification. An upper receiver can be shipped into California without modification. But if you put the two together, that's a big no-no.

It would be possible to ship a disassembled Sub 2000 into California legally. I'm not sure what level of diss-assembly would be required, but taking the rifle apart at the hinge seems the simplest route. The receiver would have to be shipped to an FFL (unmodified), but the barrel assembly should be able to be shipped directly to your home.

Hope this helps any other poor saps who live in California and want a Sub 2000.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:21 AM   #10
grumpyolretiredcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
There is no way to add a monsterman grip to a sub 2000 right?
Since the Monsterman grip replaces the pistol grip of an AR pattern rifle, there is no way that I know of to adapt it to the Sub 2000. The closest thing you'll get is a Kydex wrap such as the one made by Solar Tactical. I have one in hand, in preparation for picking up my Sub 2000 tomorrow (is picking up your firearm on Friday the 13th a bad thing?) and the one I have isn't quite as squared a profile as the one ST's site shows.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles