KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns > Taurus PT-22 - Complete POS or serviceable gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
fudd022

Default Taurus PT-22 - Complete POS or serviceable gun?

I'm thinking about picking up the little Taurus, but I've read a lot of negative stuff about them. I figure most Kel Tec owners are pretty forgiving people and would appreciate some feedback. Are the PT22s complete POSs that I should stay away from, or are they just temperamental?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
Tractiongrips
Grand Poobah
KOG_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Re: Taurus PT-22 - Complete POS or serviceable gun

Beretta 21A Clone. I never had any problems with mine. I should heve kept the one I had, but wanted something with a larger bore at the time. It was a fun gun to shoot, with pretty much no recoil. It was a lot louder than you'd expect a .22 to be, which I thought was great, because if you ever had to shoot it in self defense, the other person would probably think you were shooting at them with a cannon, based on the noise and flash. Once you get by the weird flip up barrel, they are great little guns. Mine would cycle anything from Remington Subsonics, to Hyper Velocity offerings with various labels. I could also go out in the back yard and hand cycle Aguila Colibri ammunition without making any noise.

Tractiongrips ...Total Grip Control For Pistols

Old 01-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
Pancho_Villa
Grand Poobah

Location: La Parrita, Texas: Just a location on an old oilfield map
Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I had the Beretta 21A. I had problems with it extracting. At least I could tip the barrel up and pull the empty out or punch out the empty. Kinda slow reload. ;D

It was probably just that gun. Buddy of mine had another one that worked fine. I have wanted to try another or maybe the Taurus, but can't bring myself to get one yet.

Thing that bothered me the most on the Beretta was a lack of an extractor IIRC. B
een a long time since I had it. Don't know if the Taurus is the same way, but I would assume so. Ya gotta tip the barrel to unload a live one on the Beretta.

Me Vale Madre!
Su Jefe,

Pancho Villa

Old 01-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
RandyP
Grand Poobah

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I looked at the Taurus but ended up buying the woeful Beretta 21a. It is the only pistol I've ever regretted buying. I can't get it to operate a full magazine 100% without jamming, even using high velocity CCI Mini Mags. It needed a substantial bore and feed ramp polishing just to give me marginal operation.

I would never trust it to protect me, except from maybe very patient bunny rabbits who also had broken legs. I thought it would make a great little mouse gun plinker, trail gun or tackle box carry type thing. I was mistaken.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #5
TxCajun
Administrator
KOG_ADMIN.png

Liked 242 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 8

A couple of years back I was looking for a small, pocketable 22 for a trail gun/plinker. I dutifully studied and researched reviews on both the little Taurus and the Beretta. The end result of my reseach was passing on both guns and going with the Walther P-22 which has been flawless. I only wish it were a little smaller but it does the job well and can fit into a pocket. The Taurus and Beretta both seem to be hit or miss on reliability. The Taurus, with the DAO trigger and short barrel is difficult to shoot accurately. I can't remember if it has an extractor but the Beretta definately does not. I suspect both guns are pretty ammo selective and probably at least some of the bad reviews were the result of not having yet found the rounds it liked. :-/

P32, P32NAA, P3AT, PF9, P11/40/357Sig, Sub2K9, Sub9, SU16C + More to come.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:16 AM   #6
KelTex78

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I looked at them at one time but based on the bad reviews I read, decided against buying one. It's a nice size but the DAO trigger is reportedly pretty bad. I handled a few but they seemed really heavy and bulky for their compact size. I bought a Phoenix Arms HP22 instead and haven't been dissapointed.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:23 AM   #7
jonnin
Grand Poobah

Liked 125 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 1

.22LR is prone to misfires, even decent ammo will do it all too often, and the few types that do not are target loads and sort of weak. The only tiny .22 I would carry (nevermind my desire for a portable cannon) would be one of the micro revolvers or derringers so if it fails you can try the next round quickly. Just my .02 cents.

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns