Come help us Launch CZTalk.com - Free Decals!
KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns > Smith M & P compact vs M & P Shield

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
whathappened

Default Smith M & P compact vs M & P Shield

Have a chance at either one. Both are 9mm. Going to be my winter carry piece. Which would you get and why?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
FLSurfdog

Likes Given: 1

I have the shield and carry it in a IWB holster. (great gun by the way - shoots very straight and have had zero issues) The extra thickness of the compact coupled with a little extra weight might make it a bit more uncomfortable and only slightly less conceilable for IWB carry. Since we tend to dress with more layers in the winter, I'd go for the compact if you think you will wear it outside the wasitband. You get a couple of extra rounds and it probably fits in the hand a little better. That's my 2 cents.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
RobzKT
Grand Poobah

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 10

This is a tough choice, as you could consider this basically the same as the age old P-11 vs PF-9 debate. The Pro & Con of each is virtually the same... More rounds per mag vs conceal-ability.
I have been frequenting the S&W Forum ( http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/ ) and have been seeing the same debate there frequently.
I do not have the M&P9c, but I do have the Shield and an XDMc (very comparable to the M&Pc and was my choice over the M&Pc).

Obviously, the M&P9c is a short grip 12 round Double-Stack, where the Shield is a 7/8 shot Single-Stack.

• The Width difference is not much, as far as the Numbers go, but that minor difference does make the Shield Conceal much easier.
  • The M&P9c, like the XDM9c can use FS mags with a Spacer (called X-Grip, similar to the aftermarket Sleeve Spacer that allows one to use G19 & G17 mags in the G26), where the Shield has an 8 round extended mag (similar to the PF-9's).
  • The trigger was a main selling point for me. The Shield's trigger is new and feels much better than the Factory M&Pc (and FS) trigger. (There is talk about integrating the new Shield trigger into the other P&M lines)
  • Recoil isn't much of a factor between the two... They both have very manageable light recoil. The Shield's recoil feels as light as my G-26.
  • For Winter Carry, should you not want to IWB carry, you could easily Jacket Pocket carry both.
  • If you can Front Pants Pocket carry the PF-9, you'd be able to Front Pocket carry the Shield.

If you can comfortably conceal other Double-Stacks (G-19, XDM, etc.) and feel that having more rounds(12 vs 7 or 8) outweighs having a slimmer, more comfortable pistol, then your choice will probably be the M&P9c.
If you want a very comfortable shooting Subcompact Single-Stack and aren't concerned with only having 7 (or 8 ) rounds per mag, the Shield is a very nice choice.
- - -
An Equal Opportunity Owner:
Cobra, Colt, Glock, Kel-Tec, NAA, Radom, Ruger, S&W, Springfield, Walther & Winchester

Last edited by RobzKT; 11-03-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
darkwriter77
Grand Poobah

Liked 156 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 131

As of today, I would get the M&P Compact ... because that's the only one of the two that I've ever actually seen in stock ANYWHERE.

Seriously, though, I'd probably opt for the Shield, since my SR9 isn't all that hard to conceal and already plays the "high-capacity" role. However, between the Shield and, say, a Kel-Tec P11 in hard chrome, I'd opt for the P11 because they're almost the exact same size and weight but the P11 holds more ammo, is a LOT easier to find in stock, costs less, and ... well, I miss the P11 that I had. (Yes, I know the P11 has a "horrible" trigger compared to the Shield, however I was always able to shoot the P11 accurately enough at 15 yards, and neither is meant to be a target pistol anyway.)

Huzzah! Or something. And stuff. Umm, yeah...

Old 11-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
dustyvarmint

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Not an easy decision. Not exactly apples to apples here, but...

I, being an athletic build 5' 6" and 143 lbs, was convinced only something like a PF9 could be concealed and carried by me. I carried one for a year. Still have it.

Then, one day I decided to start carrying my XDMc in .40. Much, much more happy & confident and it conceals just fine for me.

happy shooting, dv

If we don't make it, alright. It's a hell of a good day to die.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
P250UA5
Grand Poobah

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Tough choice.
I got a chance to put some rounds through an M&P9c & loved it. Haven't had a chance to shoot a Shield, but handled one in the store.

If I had the cash today, between the two I'd jump at the M&P9C, personally. Though, I'd rather get one in 357Sig.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
KeltecFreak

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P250UA5 View Post
Tough choice.
I got a chance to put some rounds through an M&P9c & loved it. Haven't had a chance to shoot a Shield, but handled one in the store.

If I had the cash today, between the two I'd jump at the M&P9C, personally. Though, I'd rather get one in 357Sig.
I wish S & W made the Shield in the .357! But until then, try the Shield in the .40. Shoots just as well as the 9mm, but the .40 is a harder hitting round. It is very concealable - same size as the 9mm. Holds 6 +1 (I carry the extended in a pocket for another 7). Works very well for me. Great trigger and superb accuracy!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
P250UA5
Grand Poobah

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeltecFreak View Post
I wish S & W made the Shield in the .357! But until then, try the Shield in the .40. Shoots just as well as the 9mm, but the .40 is a harder hitting round. It is very concealable - same size as the 9mm. Holds 6 +1 (I carry the extended in a pocket for another 7). Works very well for me. Great trigger and superb accuracy!
Maybe, after the .40 has been out for a bit, they'll come out with a .357Sig Shield.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
GregoryJ

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

There have been several threads on this subject on the Smith forum. There is no shortage of opinion regarding which is the better choice. Thankfully, I don't have to choose.

|
|
|
|
|

I have both.

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns