KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns > Savage Striker Pistol in .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
YARP

Default Savage Striker Pistol in .308

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH! Giggity Giggity! I LOVE THIS GUN! I have been a fan of the Lone Eagle in .308WM for a long time, but it was missing some things that I thought were rather important. It was a single shot so after you took your first shot there was no way for a quick follow up shot (pretty important during deer season), you cant change out the barrel from the action there all made out of one piece, still didn't have the accuracy of a bolt action. So I finally parted with my beloved Lone Eagle after I tried to do a bull barrel project (also doing it to my PLR-16) and realized that I would completely have to destroy (and possibly never be able to repair) the Lone Eagel to complete the project. :'(
So I started back at page one and did a ton of research, I've shot the remington xp100 but I really thought it was just alright....not awesome. I looked into TC contenders, nice but just not my bag. then I shot my buddys 7MM-08 made by Witchita Engineering, I really like some of the features like the left sided handle other than that it didn't seem to really be my cup of tea either. they are pretty pricey and I really didn't like the left sided eject.
I had started to read alot about the Savage Striker pistol and its capablities and really liked the left sided handle right sided ejection. The more I read about Savages actions the more I was impressed with there quality and craftsminship=accuarcy out of the box. The other thing that was pointed out to me (on this forum and one other was the ease of which you can change the barrel....Ding Ding Ding we have a winner.
However I (like most) am always skeptical until I've tried it myself.
Enter the PLR. So there I am at the range blazing away like normal (like normal everyones staring either in awe or annoyance (of the sound)) and an older guy comes over to me when it's time to change targets and asks if he can shoot my PLR. I of course say yes (Kel-Tec, call me I might as well be a salesman) and ask what he has for me to shoot in return. He replies "well I don't suppose you'd want to shoot a bolt action pistol when you got this thing"....WRONG if you have a gun and say I can shoot it I wanna shoot it no matter what it is. So I said "nope I'd love to, what is it?" "Savage in .308".... I coulda hugged him.
So I got to shoot it and it was FRICKIN SWEET! It's a great gun, it felt natrual to shoot. I put 20 rds down range (he put 80 down range and felt bad, meanwhile I'm getting the review of a lifetime of my next toy) and connected with the target at 50 meters, 100 meters, and 200 meters. It was almost to easy. when you shoot a rifle you have to find your breathing pattern and well you know the rest,He had put a harris bipod on the stock and (listen Savage owners) put a hole into the bottom of the grip so that he could put a (as he calls it "a leveler" LOL!) bolt that he could adjust to the same level as the bipod in order to keep the pistol level to the target (Don't know if that'll work on a moving target! LOL ), it took out the human factor other than squeezing the trigger. This is one of the most accurate pistols I have ever shot. His had a trigger job but still had the factory barrel on it and it shot within 1 MOA at 100 meters. That is Damn impressive.
I went home signed onto GB and made my purchase, it should be here in a couple weeks, unfortunatley I'll be gone getting married (just kidding honey) so I can't give any more review till then.
My plans are to extend the barrel as well as making it a bull barrel, also get a barrel in .458 Socom for it (rumor has it this actually works), get a trigger job and throw a scope on that puppy. If you have one of these and have anymore advice on how to make it even better PLEASE let me know. I think knock on wood I have completed my gun collection (minus a vector semi auto pistol in .308) and am really looking forward to just spending my time and money on upgrading what I have so all sugestions I'm open to.
YARP

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 02:29 AM   #2
burley
Grand Poobah

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Re: Savage Striker Pistol in .308

I wish they had an accu trigger, I hear the trigger in the Striker is not great...

Old 08-20-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
Pancho_Villa
Grand Poobah

Location: La Parrita, Texas: Just a location on an old oilfield map
Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I too am still looking for an ultimate hand cannon. Kinda went throgh the same thing you did back in the days when I was shooting steel animals. I had a couple of Thompson Contender receivers with some of the small cals and a few "steel bangers." The big bangers were in .44 mag and .30 Herret, the Herret being a handloader's only caliber. They did what they were suppose to do and I only used iron sights. What I really did not like was the grip at the back end of the gun.

I also did the XP100 thing in the .221 Fireball with 2 guns for a while. Kept the better of the 2 and still have it. It is scoped with a 3X9x32 rifle scope cause I get annoyed with the pistol scope field of veiw and eye relief. No problems with the scope hitting my eye cause he recoil is low. I liked the grip location much better than the Contender. The one I still have will do dime size groups all day long hot or cold barrel. Well, it did when I could still see well enough to shoot it that well at 100 yds. Sold the other one cause it's best was 1 MOA on a good day. Only thing about the Fireball is that it's for paper punching, pests and varmints. Biggest thing I killed with it was a javelina.

And I also did the Lone Eagle thing. LGot it in a swap so the cal. was what came on it, a .22-250. It was still a 50 gr. bullet, just going alot faster than the Fireball. WAY more noise. Could have lived with a 250 Savage or even a .308. However after shooting it a while, I did not care for the way it c0cked much. Grip was o.k. Trigger a bit heavy, but not enough to affect accuracy much. I could get just under 1 MOA with it. It had a pistol scope on it so I had to live with that. Did not try a rifle scope for fear of eye damage. Finally sold it last year to fund another Remmy 700 rifle.

I have been looking for the longest time for another bolt gun in an XP, larger cal. Don't wanna pay the price for new. A standard 7BR would have been nice, but have not found one at the gunshows yet.

The Sav Striker looks interesting. I have had several of the rifles and they are extremely accurate for factroy rifles. Main thing that bothers me on it is the back end grip location. Guess the bipod helps, but I have never used them much.. That adjustable screw on the butt of the grip sounds like a good idea too for serious shooting.

Guess they do not make one with the grip farther forward like the XP? It would proably have to be something hand made. Same for the trigger and a transfer bar kinda like the XP to do the same thing? Do you like the rear grip on the Striker?

Sounds like a good gun anyway for the intended purpose. I will be wainting or the range report and some pics.

Me Vale Madre!
Su Jefe,

Pancho Villa

Old 08-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
YARP

Burley I believe you can use an adjustable trigger (1.5lb to 4lb) made by Rifle Basix (crossing fingers, tapping heels) that is a drop in trigger. Pancho Villa I agree with the location of the grip, I tend to like it to be a bit further past the end of the bolt (XP is a comfy setup). However I don't think I'll be shooting this thing offhand to often, it seems to be (please don't get me wrong this WILL NOT be a bench rest gun) that most of the shooting done with this gun will be done from a prone or sitting/kneeling position using either bipod or a rest of sorts, I suppose the occasional offhand shot maybe taken if a deer pops up in front of me.
I'm still not sure if I'm gonna put a rifle or pistol scope on. Seems to me that this thing is begging for a rifle scope with a doctor scope mounted for shorter shots.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
YARP

hey Pancho you a MI boy?

Old 08-21-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
Pancho_Villa
Grand Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARP
hey Pancho you a MI boy?
is

I assume that "MI boy" is not for Mission Impossible. Didn't care for the flicks.

If the reference is to any kind of long range metallic shooting with these guns, Nope. My days of long range were over with advanced gluaucoma. But, I guess that would make it an Impossible Mission for me to hit anything at long range. ;D

But I still want that 7BR Remmy XP. Bind or not. :

Me Vale Madre!
Su Jefe,

Pancho Villa

Old 08-21-2009, 07:05 PM   #7
YARP

LOL! MI=Michigan

Old 08-23-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
Pancho_Villa
Grand Poobah

Was out of town for a few days. While I was gone, I thought to myself about the MI thing and realized you meant a state. What a Dumbazz!!!!!!! ;D

Texas, from the southern end. Border Bandit and outlaw hunter back in the 60s and 70s. The XP100s with a rifle scope on them were great for shooting right out of your car window.

Me Vale Madre!
Su Jefe,

Pancho Villa

Old 08-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
YARP

So your the southern border patrol and I'm the northern! LOL! ;D
actually I coulda sworn I saw people jumping to the canadian side last week LOL!
Jokes Im full of'em.

I was actually asking cause I know a Pancho Villa from another forum

Old 08-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
Pancho_Villa
Grand Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARP
So your the southern border patrol and I'm the northern! LOL! *;D
actually I coulda sworn I saw people jumping to the canadian side last week LOL!
Jokes Im full of'em.

I was actually asking cause I know a Pancho Villa from another forum
Could be me. Sometimes I hang out in the Ruger forum and rimfirecentral. Quit doing the S&W, 1911, AR and AK forums. Too busy and my eyesight is too bad to keep up with all the posts. I can hardly keep up here and the people are more friendly.

We do have a Border Patrol checkpoint is this county about 8 miles south of here. Most coyotes drop the illegals a few miles farther south and they follow the pipeline clear cuts around the checkpoint. We have 2 pipelines that cross this property. Some of them wind up here with no ride after they are abandoned. We are 90 miles from the border, but there is 70 miles of brush and cactus from the Rio Grande Valley to here.

Me Vale Madre!
Su Jefe,

Pancho Villa

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns