KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns > Savage Mark II anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
haertig
Grand Poobah
KOG_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 432 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Savage Mark II anyone?

Does anyone have a Savage Mark II bolt-action .22? They have a model Mark II BXP on sale at Thingy's Sporting Goods for $159. I can't find that exact model number on Savage's website, but typically the "B" means "wood stock" and "XP" means "with mounted scope". I've been toying with adding a Savage .22 to my guns-I-want list (specifically the Mark II BV, "V" meaning "heavy barrel&quot. But I might bite at this model at Thingy's if it feels/looks good.

Anyone have one of the Savage Mark II's that can comment on quality, accuracy, etc.?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 02:54 AM   #2
burley
Grand Poobah

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Re: Savage Mark II anyone?

AK -Adjustable Muzzle Brake
B -Laminate Stock *
C -Clip (Detachable Box Mag.)
F -Synthetic Stock *
G -Hardwood Stock *
L -Left Hand *
LE -Law Enforcement *
ML -Muzzleloader
NS -No Sights *
P -Police
SE -Safari Express *
SS -Stainless Steel *
U -Ultra High Lustre
V -Long Range (Heavy Barrel)
XP -Package Gun *
Y -Youth
Link to codes are posted above right of pics on Savage's site
http://www.savagearms.com/code.htm

I have had a Mk II and shot others Mk IIs none were poor. Good guns. If your wanting a heavy barrel mod I'd get one w/ the thumbhole stock ,those are sweet. The poly stocks on the Savage line seem weak to me (seen several break when ya wouldn't think they should),not enough fiberglass or something *:-/

Old 08-03-2009, 03:41 AM   #3
Pancho_Villa
Grand Poobah

Location: La Parrita, Texas: Just a location on an old oilfield map
Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I had a couple with poly stocks and one in .22 mag with a wood stock. The were bolt guns that I got used and they performed well. Same for a couple of the autos.

Just have a hang up for Marlins, so I usually trade off the Sav. .22s.

Me Vale Madre!
Su Jefe,

Pancho Villa

Old 08-03-2009, 05:36 AM   #4
haertig
Grand Poobah
KOG_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 432 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the info. *I wasn't actively trying to find another .22 rifle, but I had this Savage in the back of my mind after seeing an ad for one a while back. *Then I just happened to see it on sale in today's newspaper ad. *I've got a lever .22 (Henry H001T - I love this gun!) and a semi-auto one (Winchester 190 - mediocre) so I was thinking a bolt-action might be something for the future. *I read a review somewhere that said the Savage AccuTriggers were very very good out of the box.

There are other guns I want before this one. *But the Savage is much cheaper than the others I want, and on sale this week - so maybe...

Old 08-04-2009, 07:29 AM   #5
Zebulun

I have a savage MKII that gets shot about every weekend. It does not have the bull barrel, and I did put a nice 3x9 on it. *It is a truly amazing weapon! I fired the best group I have ever fired with it. *I was able to put a 8 shot group through one basic hole at 50 yards. *That was fired from a cheapo plastic rest. Since I have put a by-pod on it it shoots even tighter now. *(This is without a bull barrel) If you want a real tack driver for not much money get it. *You know Savage and Anschutz used to be together. *I think Savage learned a thing or two from Anschutz about building barrels. *When you put that with Savages trigger it is hard to beat.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
artimus_prime
Grand Poobah

I got one from WalMart for around $100 several years ago. Synthetic stock, pre-accutrigger. Not a bad gun. I put a red dot on it and it's okay. I don't think I have the red dot sighted in very well though. Those are difficult to sight in. :-[

Well isn't that special!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
KingTiger

My Mk II BV is the most accurate rifle I own. And the quietest with the AAC Aviator suppressor & CCI subsonic HP's. It has the Mueller Eraticator scope & Burris Sig Zee rings. I had it cut to 16" & threaded. The AccuTrigger is very nice for a rifle in this price range. Savage is building some very good rifles, both rim & center fire, for the price now a days.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
Zebulun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTiger
My Mk II BV is the most accurate rifle I own. And the quietest with the AAC Aviator suppressor & CCI subsonic HP's. It has the Mueller Eraticator scope & Burris Sig Zee rings. I had it cut to 16" & threaded. The AccuTrigger is very nice for a rifle in this price range. Savage is building some very good rifles, both rim & center fire, for the price now a days.

Love your setup....

Old 08-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #9
WC145

I have a Savage MKII BV. It's ridiculously accurate, particularly with subsonic ammo. The accutrigger is clean and crisp, they come adjusted to the lowest setting out of the box, about 2.5lbs.
Mine has been pillar bedded in a Sharp Shooter Supply MTR stock, recrowned with a "deep dish" 11deg target crown, and the barrel, receiver, and bottom metal have been parkerized. The scope in the photo is a Mueller APV 4.5-14x, it has since been replaced with a Nikon 4.5-14x.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
rbsanspree

I love mine, even with the synthetic stock, I had it zeroed at 200 yards until last week. I zeroed it at 100 yards to take squirrel hunting later this month.

Here is a link to a picture of my setup. http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1243466369 It has the BSA sweet .22 3-9x scope and works well. I plan to upgrade to the larger sweet .22 scope down the road http://www.amazon.com/BSA-6-18X40-Parallax-Adjustment-Multi-Grain/dp/B002AKDAL4 the 3-9x is fine for now but the extra power will give me the ability to see better at longer range.

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns