You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of thektog.org    
KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns > Sauer and Sohn, .357 mag. Range Report!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
Pancho_Villa
Grand Poobah

Location: La Parrita, Texas: Just a location on an old oilfield map
Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Sauer and Sohn, .357 mag. Range Report!

This gun is a single action of German manufacture. It is about the size of a Ruer single action, but still has the old style Colt innards and a frame mounted firing pin. Rear sight is adjustable and front is a ramp. The previous owner of this gun came by early tring to sell the gun for 150 which was o.k. for a jused beater of any kind. This gun was tight and had a perfect bore and chambers. It was also parked which was not the usual blue finish. He said that he had the gun parked cause alot of the blue had worn off. He said he had never fired it much, just carried it alot. The gun was tight, but all I offered was a C note and advised him that my offer would probably be the best he could get at the show. He Left.

This gun was sold back in the 60s and 70s. This one is the "Chief Marshall" model. I believe the gun was also sold back then by Herter's. *in .357 and .401 Power Mag. I had a later one in .44 mag. It worked well and shot well, just very heavy.

An hour later he came back and gave it up for a bill. I had second thoughts, but I couldn't pass it up for that. They are good guns. Range Report Sunday, maybe Monday if I decide to keep it.

Me Vale Madre!
Su Jefe,

Pancho Villa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
rcmodel
Grand Poobah

Liked 88 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Re: Sauer and Son, .357 mag. Range Report!

My buddy collects Herter's Model-Perfect Power-Mags, if you can believe such a thing.

Built like a Tank, Heavy, FuggenUggly, but they do shoot pretty darn good.

At least on the Herter's ones, they had varying degrees of quality problems.

He has one .401 that has the base pin catch drilled too low. Had to stop & put the base-pin back in every shot until I made an over-size pin for it.

His .357 sheared off the ejector rod stud on the barrel the first time he shot it. Made a new screw and silver-soldered a new recoil lug on that one.

He also bought a new-in-the-box Herters Model-Perfect "Guides" Double-Action .357 this spring, also made by Saur.
That was one we all thought had never really been made, although it was in the Herter's catalog a couple of years. Neither one of us had ever seen one in 40 years of looking.

It is also pretty bad quality.
Cylinder end-shake when it's open is so bad you have to hold it back to close it. I had to make a spacer washer for it to get it to close properly.

Looking at the bright side, it keeps me occupied making parts every time he gets a new one and shoots it.

rcmodel

Choot'em Lizabet! Choot'em!!

Old 09-09-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
nicneufeld
Grand Poobah

Is that related to Sig-Sauer? Like a merger of the old company, perhaps? Just curious.

Oops, Wikipedia already answered my question:

Quote:
Eventually, SIG decided that it would be most cost effective to enter into a business collaboration with the German gunmaker of J.P. Sauer & Sohn. Thus, the SIG-Sauer line of handguns was born in the 1970s starting with the SIG-Sauer SIG P220 handgun in 1975, still renowned for its accuracy and durability.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
Pancho_Villa
Grand Poobah

Yep on the Sauer.

Left side of barrel reads J.P. Sauer & Sohn, juder that Made in West Germany. Right side of frame. Haws Firearms Company. Los Angeles Calif. Right side of barrel has Chief Marshall and the .357 mag line.

rc,

I ran into a guy at a show in san Antonio a few months ago with a .401 herters. He was walking it around and wanted 2 bills. I was tempted, but what the hell would I do with that odd caliber? Well, just to have one right?

I had one of the .44 mags. that you would fire 6 times and then tighten all the screws, every time. I think it was a Hawes also. I had one Virgina Arms Dragoon in .357 mag that I got with a sheard ejector rod screw like you said. Got it cheap like for 40 bucks. I rigged up aother and it worked fine for a long time. I think that one was a German make also or very similar.

Me Vale Madre!
Su Jefe,

Pancho Villa

Old 09-10-2007, 11:44 PM   #5
Pancho_Villa
Grand Poobah

Default Re: Sauer and Sohn, .357 mag. Range Report!

I capped off a few rounds of Rem. 125 gr. Holly Points through the Sauer to check function and see where it printed. It was a bit low and to the left. This one has adjusable sights so I will probably set it with the heavy bullet 158 Gr. load. that will be good enogh for any serious shooting in the field. Gun was fired at about 25 yds. It had very little recoil. It just rolled up in the hand like any single action.

Me Vale Madre!
Su Jefe,

Pancho Villa

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns