Come help us Launch CZTalk.com - Free Decals!
KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns > Price Check - AMT Backup in .45ACP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
KelTex78

Default Price Check - AMT Backup in .45ACP

I recently discovered that High Standard has been manufacturing the AMT Backup pistols. I am curious if anyone has seen any at any gun shows/shops/dealers and would have an idea what a fair price would be on either a new or used AMT Backup in .45ACP. I have already checked Gunbroker and the other online sites but I don't see a large number of the .45s. I also don't have any decent gun shops in my area to watch. >

I've read a lot of the reviews online and am aware of the pros and cons of the Backup, but remain impressed by such a small gun in such a large caliber. I have never had a chance to actually handle or fire one though; doing that might change my mind. I am just trying to find out if there are many of these hand-cannons floating around out there and if they are affordable. I'm not looking for reviews but if you have any stories or pictures you would like to share, feel free to post!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
virtual-rj
Grand Poobah

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Re: Price Check - AMT Backup in .45ACP

fwiw, if you pay me 25.00 I will take it off your hands and dispose of it. I suppose i would give it to my monster-in-law to defend herself with, but I do not like her much anyways.

in other words, it is ultimately your life. there are many other quality firearms that will suffice, and I would not trust my life to this one.

YMMV. Flame away, I am wearing nomex anyways.

Dear Karma,

I have a list of some people you have apparently missed.

Love, Me.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:38 AM   #3
Toforo
Grand Poobah

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Toforo

I see an equal amount of good and bad out there ABOUT the pistol, but on my most trustworthy website where user comments have always given me the best most honest and critical view - the question seems to be "PARTS" - NOTE THERE ARE NO COMMENTS ABOUT THIS IN THE .45 MODEL
(and yes, it's a division of Hi Standard)

http://www.gundirectory.com/more.asp?gid=20011&gun=Pistol

the only give the gun a 3 (out of 5) bullet rating

Posted: 2/25/10 10:38 PM * * 0 * * *
Member (Feb 2010)
Last Here: Yesterday
I am in need of a trigger and spring for a AMT Backup .380. Can some one help?

Posted: 2/23/10 6:29 AM * * 0 * * *
Member (Feb 2010)
Last Here: 4 days ago
Am in need of a firing pin for AMT Backup 380 single action. No longer available from High Standard or other suppliers.

Posted: 11/15/09 10:08 PM * * 0 * * *
Member (Oct 2006)
Last Here: 107 days ago
Does anyone know if the mags for the double action ony mode will work in the single action model?

Posted: 11/13/09 8:47 AM * * 0 * * *
Member (Oct 2008)
Last Here: 106 days ago
Watch www.gunbroker.com
They come and go...
Good luck *

Posted: 11/12/09 6:16 PM * * 0 * * *
Member (Oct 2006)
Last Here: 107 days ago
Does anyone have a sources of magazines for the single action version of the .380 AMT? Preferably in Canada, but if not, some company willing to ship to Canada.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:43 AM   #4
KelTex78

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual-rjhauser
in other words, it is ultimately your life. *there are many other quality firearms that will suffice, and I would not trust my life to this one.
I probably would not end up using it for personal defense unless I got one that proved to be reliable after testing. I am just facinated by small guns, especially inexpensive ones. It might be fun for breaking out at the range as a curiosity piece for the "big boom/small gun" factor if nothing else. Given the less than stellar reputation of these pistols, I am curious if they can be had inexpensively enough to warrant a purchase knowing that it may not be reliable enough for carry.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:21 AM   #5
Toforo
Grand Poobah

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I checked some other sources -

AMT or Arcardia Machine & Tool went out of business via bankruptcy in California back in 1995
When they did that, that sold some of their manufacturing "rights" to other companies like Phoenix Arms, High Standard - etc (which explains parts issues)

Everywhere I could find, a lot of people touted the AMT.380 and an AMT.38special - but all said the AMT.45 had always had major reliability issues

Most of all (google youtube amt 45) even the ones that liked and carried the gun warned of extremely high recoil - extremely heavy double action pull - the gun is basically (engineering wise) a KelTec.380 in a .45 format; basic form and function, It WILL hurt you at the range - every time you fire it at the range, you'll wonder why you would want to do it again (several used that quote)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcadia_Machine_&_Tool

At it's time, it WAS the smallest .45 ACP available but 15 years later, Taurus makes them smaller and lighter and for less than 400 (WITH lifetime warranty)

Remember: They went bankrupt for a reason...

Old 02-28-2010, 03:36 AM   #6
Pancho_Villa
Grand Poobah

Location: La Parrita, Texas: Just a location on an old oilfield map
Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I actually had one for a short while. Got it cheap off a guy at a gunshow. It was LNIB for 250. He said he could not get it to feed Holly Points and FMJs worked o.k. Complained of recoil also. I thought, "what the hell, a low bucks stainless, small, .45.? Had it for less than a month. Back to the gunshow. Found someone that wanted to be annoyed by it more than I did for a bill more. ;D

Some things I noted:

It was a nice looking gun and fired a .45.

It was compact for a .45, but HEAVY, too heavy for me to want to carry it.

Double action pull was a BEEEETCH.

Recoil was snappy, but no worse than my PT145.

It worked most of the time with round nose FMJs only.

I had better luck with the .380s. I had a few of the SA models. It was hit or mis with those. They either worked or didn't with RNFMJs only. Saftey lever sucked. It would slide to fire position when pulled out of the pocket sometimes. Never carred one chambered in my pocket. Kinda heavy for a small gun. Sights? They were there somewhere, in a tiny groove IIRC.

Only had one of the DA model .380s. It worked very well with RNFMJs. Kinda heavy even for a small gun. DA only. in comparison to a P11 trigger, worse.

These guns were innovative in their time. Guess if there was a way to make them lighter, less expensive and more reliable, they would be breat. Oh yeah, polymer.

Still they are nice looking little pieces.

Me Vale Madre!
Su Jefe,

Pancho Villa

Old 02-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
Toforo
Grand Poobah

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho_Villa
Recoil was snappy, but no worse than my PT145
REALLY???

After 500 rounds through my PT145 this week, I don't find it snappy at all - in fact, less snappy than the KT380...

Now then, the Taurus Ultra-Lite .38 snubbie, I find THAT one SNAPPY, lol

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns