KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns > Hollow Point penetration/expansion test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
KelTex78

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hollow Point penetration/expansion test

This is a follow up to my initial Golden Saber review from the P3-AT section. After having to wait a month between shots to collect enough jugs to shoot one more round, I got tired of waiting and decided to try the wet phone book method instead. This gave me an opportunity to try out a lot more than I would otherwise. All shots were fired from point-blank range. The lineup was a follows, from left to right: Remington Golden Saber in .380, MagTech First Defense in .380, Glaser Safety Slug in .357 Magnum, Speer Gold Dot in .357 Magnum, and Winchester White Box JHP in .45 ACP.

First up, the Remington Golden Saber in .380, fired from my LCP! Contratry to the water jug test, wet paper produced a much more pronounced effect. Three shots were fired, and they all penetrated between 10" and 10.5"! Nice consistency with decent penetration. As you can see, one opened more nicely than the others but all opened to some extent.

Next, my first .380 round tested, the MagTech First Defense. Shooting into the paper showed that the sharp-edged hollow points of this round had a cookie-cutter effect that punched a nice little dot of cardboard plugging the hollowpoint; neither of these rounds opened as nicely as my earlier round through the water jugs. What really concerned me was the penetration; once penetrated 11.5", while the other only penetrated 7.5".

Next are the Glaser Safety Slug, Speer Gold Dot, and Winchester .45 JHP. The Safety Slug penetrated 10"; the jacket opened unevenly and only some of the shot was released. The Gold Dot did what it was supposed to do and produced a perfect expansion with a penetration of 8". The Winchester .45 ACP JHP also penetrated 8" while producing even expansion.

Bill, I hope that these help restore faith in your Golden Saber ammunition. And to everyone else, shot placement and reliability are critical, but at the same time I like knowing just how the bullet is going to behave when it hits a target. And also, it's a lot of fun! I had a blast doing this test! I have more pictures at full resolution if anybody wants to see anything in particular!

Edited 12/24/09 to show pictures again...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
wow6599

Default Re: Hollow Point penetration/expansion test

Remington Golden Saber is the only JHP ammo I use. Better than most give it credit for, IMHO.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
lop
Grand Poobah
KOG_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 478 Times on 394 Posts

Wow, interesting. Both the .380 and the .357 bloomed nicely, and the .380's went in farther. They must be the better and stronger bullet. :-?
Any guesses on why this obviously wrong conclusion seems to be indecated by the data?
I love doing these kinds of test. I strongly recommed it to any new / newish shooters. You really get a feel for what the gun (s) is / are doing. Shot guns from different distances are amazing also.
Thanks KelTex for the info and pics.

Do any of Youse guys remember the Sapranos episode where they took a phone book and put in on someone's chest and fired a snubbie .38 into it? Freeked the person out of course, and the shooter said " Be glad you don't live in a smaller town". (psst, thinner fone buks)

So, do we have a count down clock for Fido '15?

Old 03-22-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
KelTex78

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lop
Wow, interesting. Both the .380 and the .357 bloomed nicely, and the .380's went in farther. They must be the better and stronger bullet. *:-?
Any guesses on why this obviously wrong conclusion seems to be indecated by the data?
A couple of things here... First, the .357 opened to a diameter of ~.6" while the best .380 only opened to ~.5". Second, the .357 magnum is the Speer Gold Dot for short barreled guns. I can't say for certain, but it doesn't seem to have the same recoil and blast as a full-power magnum load. I also don't want to rule out measurement error as it was done by sticking a dowel into the hole and measuring how far it went in before I met an obstruction. And finally, a sample size of '1' is not the most scientific. I just didn't feel like using more $1.00/shot ammunition while it is so hard to find right now... :-/

Old 03-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
lop
Grand Poobah
KOG_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 478 Times on 394 Posts

Amen to that. I shot just a few .22's today, and some .177 air pellets. : Not a lot of Booming today.

So, do we have a count down clock for Fido '15?

Old 03-22-2009, 02:46 AM   #6
billjohnso20
Grand Poobah
KOG_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

KelTex78,
Thanks for doing some more testing and for the well-written report. I haven't lost all hope with the GS .380 round. I have researched a few other rounds and have decided to add the Hornady Critical Defense round to my carry rounds. I'll be using the two rounds in my guns and in my carry mags. I have three mags for the P3AT and four your the Elsie Pea. I'm still relying on the GS now though till I can get to the range. I've got a Laserlyte laser coming from Battlebug. I plan to put it on my XD SC 40S&W. When I get it and get it mounted, I'll go to the range and get it all taken care of at that time.

On the other/original thread, some thought I was putting too much emphasis on bullet performance. I don't; that's why I carry the .380. Shot placement is the most critical factor. That said though, I bullet that reliably expands isn't a bad think. In fact, it's a great thing!

Old 03-23-2009, 02:03 AM   #7
KelTex78

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's a bonus; this is the first round I ever tested. It's a 230 gr. Speer Gold Dot in .45 ACP fired into water jugs. IIRC, it penetrated into the fourth 1 gallon jug. Speer obviously knows what they are doing!

Old 03-23-2009, 02:21 AM   #8
MirageES

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelTex78
Here's a bonus; this is the first round I ever tested. It's a 230 gr. Speer Gold Dot in .45 ACP fired into water jugs. IIRC, it penetrated into the fourth 1 gallon jug. Speer obviously knows what they are doing!

Was that round +P? I found some Speer Gold Dot 230 gr. +P in .45 ACP 50 count for about $30. If that round you have in the pic was +P then I know it would be good to recommend it to my friend who is looking for good SD ammo.

Edit: I looked again, and saw that the +P is 200 gr. not 230 gr. Please disregard my question.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
big_dog
Grand Poobah

I have done some impromptu testing in the past my self, 9MM and 45ACP from Remington bulk packs and Winchester White box, all the the most economical Ammo there is, All so they were all JHP.......115 grn and 230 grn respectively...All performed as well and in some case's better than the Exocit high priced Ammo........These Manufacturers have been in business for a long time making quality Ammo, And Firearms.....So I guess if you want to spend a lot more money on the Slick marketing one's, than feel free to do so............I use Win and Rem most all the time and Have never felt under gunned............I have said in the past, and I will say it again..How dead is Dead?.......I don't think a Bad Guy will care if he or she is shot dead with a thirty dollar a box Ammo or a twenty dollar box,............Do you?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
shottingcouple

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelTex78

Gold Dot is all I carry 9MM or 45acp after seeing thier resilts in ballistic Jell

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns