Come help us Launch CZTalk.com - Free Decals!
KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns > Gun for Bug Out Bag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
jmoe816

Default Gun for Bug Out Bag

Hi. I have been looking for a decent small-mid size handgun for my bug out bag. I bought a PF9 with intentions of using it as my primary carry weapon. My friend is now looking to sell his Taurus Millenium Pro .40. It is bigger than the PF9, but not as big as my Sig 229. I'm thinking about offering him $300 for the Taurus, 2 magazines, a Comp-Tac holster and some ammo. Is this a fair deal to both parties?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
rcmodel
Grand Poobah

Liked 80 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm not too sure about using a different gun for your bug-out bag then the one you are used to carrying and practicing with.

They used to say "Beware the man with one gun, cause he probably knows how to use it".

With that said, there is nothing to prevent you from practicing a lot with the gun in your bug-out bag I guess.

But who am I to talk.
I have so many good handguns I don't even know what I would grab WTSHTF.
Probably the closest one!

Just long enough to get to an AR-15 or Mini-14 Rifle.

rc

Old 09-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
jonnin
Grand Poobah

Liked 103 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Where are you going to bug out to? Will you hunt with it? Hike cross country? Or just hole up at your mom's & guard the door? The choices for what to have when society goes haywire vary a lot depending on what you want to do and how much you plan to carry around. For just a defensive pistol, get something rugged and reliable and cheap and plenty of ammo. A glock. A ruger p series. A milsurp metal hunk. Whatever you like so long as you can use it and have no worries about it failing if you are out in the woods for a few months.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
rcmodel
Grand Poobah

Liked 80 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Some MRE's and a case of toilet paper would probably be more useful anyway.

rc

Old 09-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
RobzKT
Grand Poobah

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Yeah... If you have a CC Permit and carry every day, you wouldn't need a special pistol for a Bug Out Bag.
Now... A nice folding Sub2000 would be a good BOB item.

- - -
An Equal Opportunity Owner:
Cobra, Colt, Glock, Kel-Tec, NAA, Radom, Ruger, S&W, Springfield, Walther & Winchester

Old 09-28-2011, 08:00 AM   #6
Pancho_Villa
Grand Poobah

Location: La Parrita, Texas: Just a location on an old oilfield map
Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoe816 View Post
Hi. I have been looking for a decent small-mid size handgun for my bug out bag. I bought a PF9 with intentions of using it as my primary carry weapon. My friend is now looking to sell his Taurus Millenium Pro .40. It is bigger than the PF9, but not as big as my Sig 229. I'm thinking about offering him $300 for the Taurus, 2 magazines, a Comp-Tac holster and some ammo. Is this a fair deal to both parties?
Guess the Mil Pro .40 would work. It's light, compact and holds enough rounds. Price is fair. I gave 3 bills plus for a new Mil Pro .45 in 2008. I found it to be about the same as a compact Glock for less bucks. Also liked the trigger better. However, I could not conceal it well cause it was so fat. It was a good close range combat gun with the "Staight 8" sights on it. But it was no small game getter. I tried shooting a standing and running rabbit with it. The "hold on the target sight picture" just wouldn't work for small ame. Well, at least not for me. but it would work in a combat situation just fine.

The Mil Pro .40 is much the same. It would seem that if it was going in a pack, a full size gun would work as well. Academy Sports around here gets about 360 for them or so. That was what I got for my PT145 when I sold it recently at a gunshow. but, if you are working on a fair deal witha buddy, it's o.k.

I found that I would grab a full size gun if I was going in the brush to or staying out at other locations doing fence repairs. It required carrying a pack with quiet a few things especially cause there was no shelter electricity or running water. But I have a pretty wide choice to picf from as someone mentioned. Usually a high powered, scoped rifle is alos a plus out there.

Me Vale Madre!
Su Jefe,

Pancho Villa

Old 09-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
haertig
Grand Poobah
KOG_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 298 Times on 226 Posts

If you can legally carry a handgun 24x7 where you live, do that and skip the handgun in your bug-out bag. Put a RIFLE in your bug-out bag instead.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
jmoe816

My rifle is located right next to the B.O.B. I intend on grabbing it as well in a bug out situation. I also intend on having my primary carry handgun on me. The handgun for the bag may seem redundant, but I think it would be worth the extra weight. ATM I only have one B.O.B for two people. I'm sure the contents will shift when a second bag is created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
If you can legally carry a handgun 24x7 where you live, do that and skip the handgun in your bug-out bag. Put a RIFLE in your bug-out bag instead.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
jonnin
Grand Poobah

Liked 103 Times on 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoe816 View Post
My rifle is located right next to the B.O.B. I intend on grabbing it as well in a bug out situation. I also intend on having my primary carry handgun on me. The handgun for the bag may seem redundant, but I think it would be worth the extra weight. ATM I only have one B.O.B for two people. I'm sure the contents will shift when a second bag is created.
In that case, with a rifle and a defensive handgun, I would poke a .22 target pistol into the bag, a ruger mark sort of gun, for small game, carry 1000 rounds of ammo easy, and functional as a backup defense (10 rounds of 22 from a long barrel is nothing to sneeze at). Or maybe a 22 mag, the PMR for example, same idea (lots of ammo, light weight, suited for small game too).

Old 09-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
HardShell
Grand Poobah

Liked 105 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmodel View Post
I'm not too sure about using a different gun for your bug-out bag then the one you are used to carrying and practicing with.

They used to say "Beware the man with one gun, cause he probably knows how to use it"...
+1

Training, practice, and muscle memory go a long way -- a duplicate of (or close variation on) your primary would be a very sensible way to go here IMHO. (And that's what I do, FWIW.)

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns