KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns > Feg pa-63

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #21
Charley

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts

Wood was some scrap maple I had left from another project. Bit of stain/sealer, and a couple coats of Tung Oil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 01:48 AM   #22
snakedog

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsh03 View Post
I did pick up a couple boxes of Hordady FTX for my PA-63. I cycled them through by hand quite a bit with no issues before I took them out shooting. I only shot five of them at the range, so a very small sample size, but they ran smoothly
Hornady makes two SD rounds in 9x18: FTX and XTP. Never had a problems with FTX rounds, XTP's tend to jam towards the top of the mag. I've read they feed better on a polished ramp, something I haven't done on mine.

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn professional.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-26-2013, 02:45 AM   #23
nsh03

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I see the SMC-380's come up a bit, but what I'm looking for is the SMC-918. Same gun, just shoots 9mm Mak instead of .380. The ones that shoot 9x18 are hard to find.

S&W M&P .40 - SIG P229 - Kel-Tec PF-9 - FEG PA-63 - Carl Gustafs Stads Gevarsfaktori M94 - Mossberg 500A

Old 07-26-2013, 03:48 AM   #24
jrmyrick

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I had an FEG PA 63 and sold it to help finance my p11. I had the thing for YEARS. Loved it, just wanted more capacity, and 9X19. Enjoy!

Old 07-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #25
JAB
Grand Poobah

Liked 186 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakedog View Post
Hornady makes two SD rounds in 9x18: FTX and XTP. Never had a problems with FTX rounds, XTP's tend to jam towards the top of the mag. I've read they feed better on a polished ramp, something I haven't done on mine.

Huh, I thought they had quit making the XTP in loaded 9X18 ammo a couple of years ago. In fact, I was told that by more than one source. Maybe they started making it, again, though. I still think I would rather have the FTX (Critical Defense) version.

I am of the impression that the XTP bullets, in general, don't expand as quickly or as well even from more powerful platforms. It is said that, for that reason, they make good woods/hunting bullets because they often give better penetration in game animals than other JHPs while still giving some expansion. I haven't done first-hand 'testing' to know if that is true or not, however. The FTX bullets seem to be a decent combination of both penetration and expansion for private citizen SD plus, as you mention, the nose profile may be less likely to cause feeding issues - not that I wouldn't carry the XTP or use it for home defense in just about any caliber if that is what I could find.

The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits - from A World of Hurt by The Drive-By Truckers

Last edited by JAB; 07-29-2013 at 08:39 PM.
snakedog Likes This 
Old 07-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #26
snakedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post
Huh, I thought they had quite making the XTP in loaded 9X18 ammo a couple of years ago. In fact, I was told that by more than one source. Maybe they started making it, again, though. I still think I would rather have the FTX (Critical Defense) version.
You're right, Hornady suspended production of XTP rounds.

http://www.hornady.com/store/9X18-Mak/

Old 07-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #27
JAB
Grand Poobah

Liked 186 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakedog View Post
You're right, Hornady suspended production of XTP rounds.

http://www.hornady.com/store/9X18-Mak/
Actually, it looks like I was wrong - or maybe they started making them, again (I am kinda leaning toward them having resumed production at some point because too many sources told me a year or two back that they weren't making them any more.) I say that because the XTP is labeled 'temporarily suspended.' See, Hornady recently released a list of less 'popular' ammo/reloading components, etc. on which they were suspending production until the end of the year so that they can focus on producing the more popular ammo. The 'temporarily suspended' label, then, makes me think that they are still producing XTP Makarov ammo but that it is on the list of stuff that they won't be making any more of, this year.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2013/07/hornady-lists-bullet-and-ammo-types-that-remain-in-production/

The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits - from A World of Hurt by The Drive-By Truckers

Last edited by JAB; 07-29-2013 at 08:48 PM.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #28
snakedog

Reeds Ammo, out of OKC, has some very interesting offerings, not the least of which is a 9x18 XTP round. Of course, those a BO'ed for now.

http://shop.reedsammo.com/9x18-Makarov-95g-Hornady-XTP-x1895x.htm

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns