KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns > WHICH IS THE BEST .22 POCKET PISTOL?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 02:46 AM   #1
S2K08

Default WHICH IS THE BEST .22 POCKET PISTOL?

Hey guys...I've been throwing around the idea of getting a .22 pocket pistol. Not for self defense...mainly for plinking, shooting at cans and something that I can take to the range or out in the country, and blow a bunch of cheap .22 ammo on. I'd like something cheap but reliable. And I want a POCKET pistol. I already have a Ruger Mark II...but I suddenly feel the need for something smaller. I'm kind of familiar with some of the models from Berreta, Derringer, Jennings, and Taurus, but that's about it. I'd like any info and prices...good or bad, on these and any others that you can think of. Thanks in advance.

P.S....To the powers that be...If there is already a thread or a link to this topic with all the info I need...please feel free to redirect me to it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 03:18 AM   #2
shootah800
Grand Poobah

Default Re:  WHICH IS THE BEST .22 POCKET PISTOL?

Ya know, I was at my LGS the other day, and was looking at a little Phoenix Arms .22. It came with an itty bitty barrel, and also one that was about 4.5"-5". A pocket pistol AND a target pistol! I was impressed, anyway...

BTW, It was only $175.00, and this is usually a high-priced shop.

-Matt

Old 02-28-2008, 04:24 AM   #3
AMSProcessing
Grand Poobah

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had a Taurus PT22 for years. The only time I had a problem was I had the slide fail at a weld/seam. I DON'T recommend a steady diet of CCI Stingers in a little pocket 22 (at least not in Taurus's ). On the upside - I sent the slide to Taurus, and they sent me a new one.

Mine ate most any .22 I threw in the mag, and it was decently accurate.

just my .02

Old 02-28-2008, 05:19 AM   #4
Spikejerk
Grand Poobah

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

+1 on the Phoenix. I've never had any problems with them and the option of a longer barrel makes it useful for plinking. The only downside is the PIA thumb safety on the frame. It never seems to want to stay in place. However there is a hammer block safety on the frame that is solid.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:39 AM   #5
Pancho_Villa
Grand Poobah

Location: La Parrita, Texas: Just a location on an old oilfield map
Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Re: *WHICH IS THE BEST .22 POCKET PISTOL?

I tried a few of the pocket autos over the years.

Jennings, newer model called Jimenez Arms, made somewhere here in Texas now. Sequin, Tex. if I remember right. Most of *them worked. I had maybe 2 *that would FTF, FTE out of about 6 over the years. Tried different mags, ammo and such on those two, no luck. They either work or don't. Some were new and some used. Never did try sending any back to the factory.

Had one Beretta with the tip up barrel, model 21, maybe. Bought it used, cheap and LNIB from a frustrated owner. I liked the gun, but it did not extract well. The guns have no extractor claw on the slide. So when an empty got stuck, I just tipped the barrel up and pulled it out with a pocket knife. Not exactly a great self defense situation to be in. Had to constantly be cleaning th gun to get a few mags to feed through it. I assume the Tauras model has the lack of an extractor claw on it also, but never really looked at one. Dumped the Beretta on a buddy. Advised him of the problem and he thought he could fix it with different ammo and mags. Same thing, so he dumped it. I have not tried another to see if it is a common problem. The guns are too expensive to just keep trying for a good one. Don't liike the lack of the extractor claw anyway.

Got one of the Phoenix Arms guns with the change barrel like someone mentioned. It worked well enough. Didn't keep it long.

I am assuming you are asking about autos here. I have had a few of the J frame .22s and the Pathfinders by Charter Arms. They are small revolvers. They are limited to 6 rounds, but work for me. Only other ones worth mentioning are the H&R/NEF snubs. Trigger pull on those is much heavier than the S&W or Charter snubs. Those came in 6 or 9 shot versions.

Yeah, the MKIIs are killer. Got 3 right now. To bad Ruger never shrank it odown to a pocket gun.

Me Vale Madre!
Su Jefe,

Pancho Villa

Old 02-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #6
torrent
Grand Poobah

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 11

While I'm not sure if it's the best pocket .22 out there it is very fun to shoot and hides in any pocket. My little NAA .22/.22 mag only cost $199. Here's a pic of it in my hand:

If the right thing to do was easy everybody would do it.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
THE_HUNTER
Grand Poobah

I 2nd the Taurus PT22.Any little semi-auto .22 will not stand the costand abuse of Stingers and Taurus tells you not to use them.High velocity just fine.Small,accurate,dependable and a hoot to shoot!Tip up barrel so it is easier to load than racking the little tiny slide too! 8-)

Old 02-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
lcdrdanr
Grand Poobah

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The little NAA revolver is fun to shoot but I don['t consider it a good plinker because it is such a PITA to reload, I want to shoot not spend half the time taking cylinders apart to reload.
I used to have a 9 shot J C Higgins that was a blast to shoot, still have a couple of Hawes single actions that are on the verge of being a PITA to reload, really hard to beat the Ruger MKII with about 10 mags. Load them up, stick them in the back pocket and just change mags out instead of loading.
Amazing how much ammo you can go through in a half hour. But, at 12 bucks a value pack, it's almost still affordable !!

Dan R

Old 02-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
BuccaneersFan

I have to strongly disagree on the Phoenix Arms .22, that is one of the biggest piece of crap guns I've ever shot. There's two manual safeties and one of them has to be engaged just to insert or remove the mag, it's incredibly annoying. Also, those things malfunction like crazy, even after being cleaned and the mags hold 10rds but several more will fit and this will cause the gun to miss feed every time, so you must keep count when your loading the mag.

What I would recommend for a cheap plinker along the lines of a Phoenix would be an American Arms PK-22 (not North American Arms). It's basically a clone of a Walther PPK, the down side is that the barrel is fixed (cannot be removed), but they can be had for about $100 if you can find one and they are very accurate.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
camper

NAA PUG in 22 mag for pocket carry.

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Other Guns